Sunday, September 6, 2009

Gunung Pulai Ride 16/07/2009

What started as a planned leisure ride to Gunung Pulai turned out to be a suicidal ride thanks to Boboy…the story?....goes like this……=p




We met at the usual RV point at Ah Fan’s…supposedly at 7am….I was late, reaching there at 7.15am..but Boboy..being his usual self..turned up at 7.45am..no matter…there’s still time…but we missed Ah Fan and his group who decided to start early…saw him riding past at 7.30am….would be nice to join him and his gang but since the El-Presidente has not showed up, I guess maybe some other time…



After a super quick breakfast, we started riding heading to Gunung Pulai park ...riding leisurely as planned, we even rode past the P.U.B. route thinking that since it has rained yesterday, the trail should be all muddied up and slippery…we decided not to ride the trail…perhaps after raya…



After a short 10km ride, we had a long stop at a warung near the park entrance….just chatting and having our second breakfast (no wonder lah? hehe)…before Boboy suggested that we try the Kaizen Camp trail…he claimed that the trail is not as tough as the Gunung Pulai trail…having trusted him as a guy with experience with Gunung Pulai surrounding trails, I agreed and we started riding.



I had my doubts when he took a wrong turn which leads to a dead end…I asked him whether he still remembers the route or not but he insisted that it’s ok and we made a U turn and goes on riding...first descending a hill…then crossing a stream…then riding thru some bushes…literally thru the bushes….I can barely see the trail as the not so small trees & bushes was as tall as I am…kinda reminds me of Bukit Indah trail but no matter…I guess Boboy must surely knows where he’s going…



We reached a steep hill where we were forced to push our bikes up hill…reaching the top, we noticed an arrow sign at a tree trunk suggesting that the slope that we just climbed up is actually a downhill route…with that kind of steep slope…I wonder, does anybody dares enough to ride it?....hmmm…

the steep downhill...

Boboy...right before I pushed him downhill.....haha

We continued riding, this time to a more visible and rideable trail…well mostly…riding thru the woods was not as simple as I thought…the trail were sometimes wet and muddy…but mostly rocky with a lot of fallen tree trunks which requires us to carry our bikes to cross it…and also some slippery surfaces which demands full concentration and a good control over the bikes….one wrong mishandling might sees us ejected from our saddles and land flat on our back or worse…head first like the one I experienced at the Gunung Pulai trail…haha….


Trail route?...what trail route?

I was being cautious all the time as this was my first time riding the trail…Boboy on the other hand, rides his second but he rode like he has ridden the trail thousands of times…he was damn fast (really)…I couldn’t catch up….he had to stop and wait for me a couple of times…..this I gotta hand it to him….he rode the trail, on the slippery rocky surface…going past small tree trunks with ease…me?...hahaha….I was riding too cautiously…not taking any risk I guess…and missed the thrill of riding fast in the woods…maybe Boboy was inspired by the vid clips he saw from Youtube….perhaps…=p


now there's the trail...and I thought we were lost!

From the trail condition, I could see that it is seldom used by people…as most part of it still covered with thick bushes…but still accessible…I was hit by some small branches along the trail….and luckily…I haven’t fall off my bike…yet….hehe…


Boboy and his trustee, XT/XTR equipped ride...=)
me and mother nature...sounds good....feels good too!
After a while, we reached an opening with a small abandoned army bunker…kinda creepy…but we took a breather there and some photo’s too…there were signs that somebody had set up a camp site over there, but I guess it must’ve been a week ago…I thought to myself…who’d be silly enough to set up camp at a creepy place like this?...

me..posing infront of the bunker...err...who's that ugly looking lady in white behind me?



Boboy...impersonating the ugly lady...no offence...hehe

We continued riding shortly after that, going past some steep slope then riding on the hillside beside the Kaizen Camp and finally reaching the end of the trail…but not before going thru an estimated 50 metres of tall bushes…having difficulties to navigate thru the thick bushes as again, I couldn’t see where I was going…there were some downhill…thru some rocky surface…which I had to push my bike down…

Not a good experience…if only the trail were well maintained…then maybe….=)



I was relieved that the ride was over…not because I didn’t enjoy the ride (well…not as much as I should have)…and not because I didn’t feel the thrill…but mostly because of the lack of security that I felt while riding the trail….but I guess..there’s where the fun is…riding the unknown trail….where every twist and turn is unfamiliar….hehe….just thinking about it makes me regret riding the trail….but doesn’t mean that I won’t try again…..after Raya…maybe…with larger group this time….hehe….just have to remind myself and fellow riders to wear long sleeves….my arms, legs and neck were itching like hell….haha….





No comments:

Post a Comment