Monday, September 28, 2009

Gunung Pulai ride 27.09.2009

I woke up at the sound of heavy rain pouring outside my house. It was 6am….and it was raining so heavily that I started to have doubts on today’s ride….messaged Boboy to confirm the ride status…while waiting for his reply…I went on to take my bath and then perform the Subuh prayer…..then checked my phone for any replies…none…so I called him…he answered and we decided to go on with the plan...hoping that it’ll stop raining when we reached Pekan Nanas….

Left home quite late….nearing to 7am….rushed to Boboy’s house at Pulai Indah….he was already waiting as I reached there…..we quickly installed his bike carrier on top my rear trunk...mount his bike and then waited for him to change…we decided to car pool today….much easier I guess…practical too as his carrier could carry 2 bikes at a time…since I have stashed my bike at the rear seat the night earlier, I decided to just leave it as it was…



We left for Pekan Nanas at 7.30am…..and reached our destination few minutes before 8am…we stopped by at Restoran Salam for breakfast and after that headed straight to Ah Fan’s and start unloading our bikes….

Starts paddling around 8.40am…riding slowly towards the Gunung Pulai Forest Reserve park some 10km away…it was a slow and pleasant ride for me…and since I’ve had my warmed up ride yesterday…the ride today seemed easy….I couldn’t say it’s the same for Boboy…he hadn’t ride for quite a while…his expression says it all….he looked awfully tired just after few km’s….

We decided to skip the P.U.B trail this time…. (again)…..as we figured that the trail should be inaccessible due to the heavy downpour earlier…and so we continued riding towards the Gunung Pulai park entrance…

Along the way…we stumbled upon Ah Fan and 3 other riders….they just got back from trail riding….must’ve started early…..as we rode by, we exchanged greetings and continued our journey to the destination….

It took us half an hour to reach the warung near the park entrance….we were planning to have a drinks before hitting the trail….it wasn’t long before another 2 riders came by…it was Abg Lokman with his friend, Abg Azhar….they joined us and a few minutes later, Abg Tahir from Pontian arrived.

Boboy invited them to join us to ride to Kaizen Trail…and they agreed….initially…I’ve had second thoughts at first as there were only 2 of us…now that there’re 5 riders…I’m more confident to ride the trail…..especially with 3 experienced (veteran) riders riding with us…..

We started by riding the Gunung Pulai trail first where we took a slightly different and treacherous route…..we were forced to push our bikes a slippery steep hill where Abg Azhar attempts to go downhill which he failed to accomplished….he was riding a hardtail…his previous successful attempts was on his Ironhorse full sus a few weeks back…the hardtail weren’t meant for downhill….I believe that’s the case….

Reaching the top…we continued riding thru the rocky trail heading the exit some 500 meters away…but not before going past thru some fallen tree trunks, slippery rocky surface and quite a steep and rocky downhill where I was forced to push my bike down….Boboy tried to follow suit Abg Azhar who downhilled the rocky terrain with ease….being an amateur like me…Boboy fells off his bike midway….ouch!

We continued heading towards the Kaizen Trail…and this time…I’m well prepared physically and mentally…and ride the initial stage with much ease…..reaching the steep uphill….Abg Azhar decided to scale the hill and once reaching the top, rode downhill…just to test his skills….and like the previous one, he managed to reach the bottom safely….

The next stage was quite difficult compared to the previous….we had to ride on slippery rocky surface and had to go thru (carrying our bikes) past some fallen tree trunks….we also had to be extra careful and watch out for “Pacat” or leeches…these small blood sucking creatures are not that dangerous or lethal…but they can certainly caused major discomfort…hehe….

We took a breather at the abandoned army bunker while Abg Azhar and Lokman went down the ravine to scout the area….while they were busy recce~ing…me and Boboy were desperately checking our legs and back for those leeches…..hehehe….



We were back on saddles after a 15 minutes break…riding towards the Kaizen Camp…..me and Boboy were quite relieved that they decided to exit via the camp as we remembered our previous ride there when we took the other exit….=p

We stopped for a while at the camp entrance to check on our bikes and search for any leeches on our legs…I even took off my shoes just to make sure I’m free from those slimy vermins….Abg Lokman and Abg Tahir were not so lucky though….but being a veteran…these little creatures are not a problem for them…a little heat from a lighter was all they need to get rid of these blood suckers…=p

The ride back to Ah Fan’s were slow due to gearing problem faced by Boboy….Abg Azhar and Lokman rides on leaving us at the back….

We reached Ah Fan’s some 40 minutes later and beginning loading our bikes on the carrier…and then heads for the warung opposite the Petronas station to join the other 2 riders.

We hanged out for a while and then begins our journey home…I’ve to drop Boboy at Pulai Indah and then heads straight home. Boboy was kind enough to lend me his carrier as my bike was too dirty to be stuffed in the back seat…

I need to hurry home as I have a wedding invitation in the afternoon….an old friend of mine is getting married….haven’t seen since the last day of school…that’s 17 years ago….

I’m seriously considering Abg Azhar’s invitation to ride at Desaru next Sunday…..have to check my schedules….in case the missus have raya plans for that day….

Meanwhile…the usual NR will resume next Tuesday night….I’ll be sure to attend it…anybody else interested?...

No comments:

Post a Comment